Monday, December 2, 2013

Sugar Walls...

Scottish singer Sheena Easton had quite the career going when I was growing up.  It started when I was maybe 7 or 8 years old, when she sang "Morning Train (9 to 5)" and "Modern Girl", which were both popular at about the same time.  Then her image going racier when she took up with Prince and started singing songs like "U Got The Look" and "Sugar Walls".  The last song she sang that I remember being a hit was "The Lover In Me", which I kind of liked.  At the time that song was popular, I was working at Busch Gardens in Virginia and she was coming to the park to do a concert.  One of my co-workers wanted to see the show, so I traded shifts with him so he could go.

This morning, I'm having trouble being productive.  I decided to sing a song.  I started out with Sheena's heartbreaking ballad, "Almost Over You"…  but then decided I'd rather try the uber nasty "Sugar Walls", a song written for her by Prince, who was using the pseudonym "Alexander Nevermind".  I never really liked "Sugar Walls" that much, mainly because it's pretty raunchy.


I seem to remember this song was banned in some places, even though the lyrics may seem quaint by today's standards…  I don't think Sheena quite sells it in this video.  She looks more cute than sexy.

Nevertheless, I tried it anyway… because I am in a goofy mood…


I think I should play that song as I make one of these for the front yard…


Maybe this bush will keep the religion peddlers away on the weekends...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.