Friday, February 28, 2014

Julie Through The Glass...

Some time ago, I found a corny Mormon PSA/ad on YouTube which used the song "Julie Through The Glass".  When I first saw the ad, I didn't know who had written or originally sung the song or even why it was written.  It was just being used on one of those old LDS ads that were so prevalent back in the 70s and 80s.


As you can see, this ad is probably from the late 70s or early 80s… and it runs for an astonishing two minutes!


Yesterday, an old friend got in touch with me on Facebook and I noticed she had posted the song "Julie Through The Glass".  Much to my surprise, I saw that it was a Carly Simon original.  Someone on YouTube commented that she had written it in honor of her newborn niece, Julie, born to her sister, Lucy Simon.


I love Carly Simon's music and am glad I got to hear the original version of this song…

The words to this song are just extraordinary.  They describe a woman seeing a baby relative for the first time.  Obviously, Carly was singing this for her niece, from the perspective of a loving aunt.  But it could have just as easily come from a new mother.  As you can see, Carly was quite the hottie in 1971 and this album cover was pretty sexy for its day.

It would be another three years before Carly would have her own daughter, Sally, with James Taylor.  Three years after that, she'd have her son, Ben, with James Taylor…  and then a few years after Ben's birth, Carly and James would divorce.  From all accounts, Carly Simon is a very dedicated mom, so it's natural that these beautiful lyrics would come from her.

Julie through the glass
Lookin' up at me
You've just got to be
The sweetest thing I've ever seen
Julie through the glass
Just born a day ago
And who knows where you've been
And where you're gonna go
We want you to love the world
To know it well and play a part
And we'll help you to learn to love yourself
'Cause that's where loving really starts
Julie through the glass
I'm looking forward to
Doing things with you
For many years to come







3 comments:

  1. I hate to be so negative, but I didn't find either the mother or the Julie likable at all. And their version of the song -- jeez, they may as well have had the Motab record it. Carly Simon does her own song so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It was a very cheesy rendition. I can't believe it runs for two minutes.

      Delete
  2. This commercial made a HUGE difference to me when my 1st born daughter was a newborn. She needed me every minute and I thought when she was sleeping I could get stuff done, but that was not the reality of it. One day I was holding her (she did not like to be put down and if I did she would cry until I picked her back up) and was watching TV. This commercial came on and it all became very clear to me. My "job" as a new mom wasn't to keep the house clean, and laundry done, make a nice meal for when husband came home, vacuum, and clean up the dishes while I was on maternity leave. In that moment in time - my daughter needed me. And this commercial helped me embraced that. The commercial showed me how quickly she would grow up (and she sure did) that she needed me, and not to wish the time away. I still cry every time I watch this, and remember that day when my role as a mom began to make sense. Thank you to the Mormons and Carly Simon. You made a difference in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.