Thursday, March 21, 2013

Bruno Martelli should not sing...

Every weekday morning, I watch old episodes of Fame on NuVo TV.  I used to love that show when I was growing up.  It was like a more serious version of Glee, though it had its more ridiculous moments, too.  For some strange reason, Fame had better dancers than singers.  None of the regulars on the show, save for maybe Valerie Landsberg, who played Doris Schwartz, or Nia Peeples, who played Nicole Chapman in later episodes, were especially good singers.  A couple of the regular cast members were notably poor singers.  Lee Curreri, who played keyboards genius Bruno Martelli, is one I can think of off the top of my head...


This song is one of his better performances as a singer, though he really can play the keyboards and does compose his own music.  Ignore the Italian dubbing.  Focus on the song!


When he sings "Murphy's Blues", I hear a little funk that sounds a little Boz Scaggs or Michael McDonald inspired... and I wish for a better singer.


Here he sings "False Alarm"... again, not a bad song, but someone else should probably sing it.

Bruno Martelli wasn't the only "bad" singer, though.  Lori Singer, who played cellist Julie Miller, also couldn't sing.


Both of these actors were legitimately musically talented.  They're not good singers, but they play instruments extremely well.  Lee Curreri is practically a keyboards prodigy.  Lori Singer is a highly regarded cellist and beautiful, to boot.  Why they were forced to sing is beyond me.  And why Fame had better dancers than singers is yet another mystery.  I still love the show, though...  It's a total guilty pleasure and takes me back to a simpler time.


LOL... I have to admit enjoying Carlo Imperato playing Danny Amatullo in this number.  Yes, I am that cheesy.

7 comments:

  1. Fame. Now that takes me back. The irony here is that for the actors involved, their only subsequent claim to fame is.......having appeared in Fame. None really went on to achieve the big time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Lee Curreri ended up writing scores for movies. Lori Singer was on Footloose and a couple of other films and TV shows. Valerie Landsberg was in a couple of other shows that weren't as popular as Fame was. Gene Anthony Ray was in a Broadway production of Carrie and died about ten years ago.

    I actually met a guy who was on the later seasons of Fame. He was playing Tommy in the Broadway production of Tommy and he had worked with the acting teacher at my college (with whom I was touring as part of a choir). Someone sent a note backstage and I tagged along because I had a camera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. I'm an 80s geek. I posted another song for you.

    I hope you haven't created a monster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen the movie. Was it a tV show s well for awhile? My mom once in a great while, , just when she's playing for know reason in particular, sing, "oUT HERE ON mY OWN"" from Fame. It;s a bit cheesy but nice just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a movie, a TV show, and a reality/contest show. The movie is very good. The TV show is super cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit, I've had that "Murphy's Blues" song running through my brain since I woke up this morning.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.