Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Rockwell...

This morning, while reading an article on Cracked, I was reminded of Rockwell.  If you were around in the 1980s, you might remember him.  He is famous for his songs about personal problems...  specifically, being paranoid that someone is watching him and getting obscene phone calls.


"Somebody's Watching Me"... listen closely and you'll hear Michael Jackson singing the chorus.

Rockwell's real name is Kennedy William Gordy.  He is the son of Motown's Berry Gordy and Margaret Norton.  Michael's brother, Jermaine, was married to Hazel Gordy, Berry Gordy's daughter and Rockwell's half sister.  Jermaine also sings on "Somebody's Watching Me".  Apparently, the Jacksons were childhood chums of Gordy's.  

Kennedy Gordy, aka Rockwell, is also the half brother to Diana Ross's daughter, Rhonda Ross Kendrick-- her biological father is Berry Gordy, although Diana was married to her ex husband, Robert Ellis Silberstein at the time of her birth.  


"Obscene Phone Caller"... it's basically a continuation of "Somebody's Watching Me"...

I can kind of see why Rockwell never really went much further with his recording career.  


This song vaguely recalls "Maniac" by Michael Sembello.  It sounds like something Jermaine Jackson would sing.


This is a new one to me.  I guess his personal problems continued beyond the phone and being watched...  This time, it's a woman, though.

I guess when Rockwell ran out of stalkers, he ran out of music career.  What a pity.  I must admit his songs crack me up.  I know he didn't want to be accused of nepotism, but I think had it not been for Michael's help, his first single never would have gone anywhere.  

Well, I guess I have devoted enough time to Rockwell on this holiday.  Time to crack open a beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.