Saturday, December 20, 2014

Sniff 'N The Tears...


This song always reminds me of France...

I remember June 1, 1995.  The previous day, I boarded a United flight that carried me and 31 others in my group to Paris, where we would "enjoy" a 12 hour layover before we boarded a flight to Yerevan, Armenia to start our Peace Corps service.  I was too inexperienced to try to go to Paris and see the actual city, so I hung around CDG's hideous Terminal 1 all day.  At some point, I pulled out my Walkman and started listening to the radio.  An old song from the 80s came on.  It was "Driver's Seat" by Sniff 'N The Tears.

Years later, I bought a CD that had "Driver's Seat" on it.  The European sound immediately brought me back to Paris, France.  I hated being at CDG all day, but grew to love being in France.  In the years since 1995, I've had the opportunity to visit there quite a few times.

Granted, Sniff 'N The Tears is a British band.  They've been in business from 1973-1983 and then again from 1992 until now.  The band is led by Paul Roberts, who is also a painter.  Roberts is the only one in the band who has been in it for the entire time it has existed.  He also spent some time in Paris.  No wonder "Driver's Seat" always reminds me of France.

Though this band has been around for many years, it's really only known for "Driver's Seat"...  But now that I've read all about them this morning, I might need to listen to more of their music.  There's got to be a reason why they hit it so big with their one hit wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.