Monday, May 31, 2021

Rest in Peace, B.J. Thomas...

I heard a few months ago that B.J. (Billy Joe) Thomas had lung cancer.  I was sorry to hear it, since his music was a big part of my soundtrack growing up.  I remember hearing his hit song, "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head", a song he did with Burt Bacharach for the film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, so many times when I was a young child in the 1970s.  I'm listening to it now, as I write this post, enjoying the retro sound, yet realizing that it still sounds excellent in 2021.  I also remember him for being very handsome.  He had mesmerizing blue eyes and thick, dark hair... He was lucky to have looks and talent going for him.

B.J. Thomas passed away on May 29, 2021.  He leaves behind his wife of 51 years, Gloria Thomas, and three daughters, Paige, Nora, and Erin.  Thomas overcame many struggles with drug and alcohol addiction, eventually becoming a Christian.  But he still sang his pop hits in his concerts, and memorably contributed his distinctive voice to the theme song for Growing Pains, a sitcom I used to watch a lot when I was growing up.  In fact, a couple of months ago, I watched the whole series and heard B.J. singing that iconic theme over and over again for each episode.

Here are a few videos by him...


Probably his best known hit...



Another well known song!  Much better than the "ooga shaka" follow up by the group, Blue Swede.


B.J. sang this as a solo and with Jennifer Warnes. He later did a version with Dusty Springfield, which became a hit on the radio.

B.J. Thomas had a beautiful voice... much like his contemporary, Ray Stevens, who was reportedly offered "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" before B.J. was.  I'm glad it was done the way it was... I can't imagine a better singer for that song.  

Thoughts and prayers go out to Gloria Thomas and her daughters as the mourn the passing of their legendary husband and father.  And on another note, I can't believe I never mentioned B.J. Thomas on this blog before.  He really was a wonderful singer, and he came of age at a time when talent really mattered.  I hope he is at peace now... and I know he is no longer in pain.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.