Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler...

I was about 13 when Dire Straits, an English band fronted by Mark Knopfler, released Brothers in Arms.  I owned a copy of that album on cassette and used to listen to it on my Walkman as I rode my back to and from the barn where I kept my horse.  I got to know its songs intimately.

A few years later, Dire Straits came out with On Every Street, which I used to play on my radio show when I was a disc jockey at my college's radio station.  Being a DJ was so much fun...  wish I could do that today.

Years after that, I got into Mark Knopfler as a solo artist.  I listened to his 2000 album Sailing to Philadelphia all the time as I drove to and from my social work field placement.  Then in 2009, I was reminded of him again when my husband and I heard his 1996 album Golden Heart playing at a pizza restaurant in Barcelona, Spain.  I promptly went home (which at that time was Germany) and downloaded a bunch of his music.


"Sultans of Swing" is of course, one of Dire Straits' best known early hits...


"Money for Nothing" was a huge hit in 1985, but it's not my favorite from Brothers in Arms.  


I've always loved "Walk of Life" if not for the rockabilly melody, then for the hilarious video...


"Calling Elvis" is probably one of my favorites from On Every Street...


Very cool solo hit...


"Industrial Disease" is a fun reminder of the way things were in the 80s...

I could probably find another dozen songs I want to link in this post, but I'd rather just listen to the music.  The older I get, the more I like Mark Knopfler's music and unusual guitar.  I just ordered his latest album, Privateering, which is not actually being sold in the US.  I had to get an imported copy.  It's good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.