Monday, April 8, 2013

Christopher Cross...

In the late 70s and early 80s, singer Christopher Cross was enjoying a tremendous career.  He had a radio friendly voice that spawned several radio friendly hits.  In 1980, he was hailed as an up and comer and in 1981, he won three Grammys for his song, "Sailing", while that same year, his song "Arthur's Theme (The Best That You Can Do)" won an Oscar.

Unfortunately for Cross, MTV came along...  Though Cross was a very good singer and songwriter, he did not have the most television friendly looks.  Poor guy.  I can totally relate.  By 1984, his career had dwindled considerably, though he does still perform today.  I have always enjoyed Christopher Cross's music and, as a fellow military brat who is about to move to San Antonio, the city of his birth, I figured today was a good day to take a look (and a listen) to his better known songs.  Yes, even though Margaret Thatcher died and I still want a Margaret Thatcher nutcracker...


"Sailing" is probably Cross's best loved song.  It is a very soothing, lovely, and even timeless song, especially for those who love the water.  It seems custom made for smooth jazz, too.  Listen to this and sigh...


The next song he's well known for is "Arthur's Theme", for the movie Arthur, which starred the late Dudley Moore.  I remember my mom was going to let me see that film at the movies, but I was only nine years old and she was afraid people would think badly of her for letting me go see such a risque film alone (yes, my mom was very under protective).  I later saw it many times on HBO and still love watching it today.  Cross's very appealing theme song has been played at countless weddings.


"Ride Like The Wind" is kind of a guilty pleasure.  It's very serious and hard charging and back in the early 80s, that was the shit!



"Think of Laura" was a hit in 1983 and was used on the soap opera General Hospital.  I seem to remember it being written in honor of a woman named Laura who died in a freak accident when a stray bullet hit her as she was riding in the backseat of a car.



"All Right (Think We're Gonna Make It)" is a very dated song from 1981.  And it's definitely a guilty pleasure for me.


For some reason, whenever I hear this song, I'm reminded of being dragged to the military medical facilities by my mom.  Actually, those weren't bad times.  She'd usually take me out of school and we'd have lunch.  But I feel old when I hear this old song, "Never Be The Same".

Maybe Christopher Cross is happy not being flavor of the week anymore.  I think fame is a double edged sword.  Just this morning, I noticed a bunch of photos of stars on the red carpet, being critiqued for their fashion choices.  I'm sure the money is great, but you never know if people love you for you or for what you can do for them.  Christopher Cross tasted fame and now can live a life of relative obscurity.  And he still has lots of fans out there who don't care if he's not video material.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.