Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Boz Scaggs...

If ever there was an artist who screams 70s and 80s, it's Boz Scaggs...  I was just reminded of him a little while ago when I got the sudden urge to take a crack at his song, "Look What You've Done To Me", which was a hit in 1980 and featured on the soundtrack for Urban Cowboy.


His song, "Lowdown" was popular in the mid 1970s and still has sort of a funky jazziness.  I want to say Jane Fonda liked it for her aerobics routines in the 80s... or maybe she was actually fond of "Lido Shuffle".


This is another big 70s hit...


I always kind of liked "Miss Sun", even though listening to it totally takes me back to the early 80s.  Sheesh... Has it really been that long?  And am I really so damn old?


The song "JoJo" has the very same effect.  Every time I hear it, I'm a little kid going to AAFES at Fort Eustis.


Here's "Look What You've Done To Me"...  Until today, I didn't know it had been co-written by David Foster, but it totally makes sense.


Here's a pretty ballad... "We're All Alone", which was also recorded by Rita Coolidge...




Here's "Heart of Mine", which I think was a hit in the 80s...

And here's my version of "Look What You've Done To Me"...  Needs a little practice, but not bad for a first try.  I think I might try a different key next time.

2 comments:

  1. My dad is a major Boz Skaggs fan. I like some of his stuff but not everything. My dad has eclectic tastes, although he tends to love classic rock & roll of the late 70's and early 80's, i.e. Eagles, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Journey, and even the erlier stuff - styx, Queen, etc. which is slightly odd, becaused when he toured, he was primarily an acoustic guitarist, but I guess that's not where his heart was.

    One artist he likes and was listening to tonight, who is, I think a 1.5 hit wonder, is a guy named Albert Hammond. Ever heard of anything by him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth be told, I like a few of Boz Scaggs' songs, but his voice kind of annoys me, especially on most ballads. The one exception to that would be "Look What You've Done To Me". I like that song and his more upbeat numbers. Your dad has tastes somewhat similar to mine. I love all that stuff from the 70s and 80s.

    As for Albert Hammond, I refreshed my memory on him and yeah... I am familiar with "It Never Rains in Southern California".

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.