Saturday, June 8, 2013

Sting: Covering Them... and other rare CDs

Back in the summer of 1996, a friend and I took a bus from Yerevan, Armenia to Istanbul, Turkey.  Not being particularly savvy or wealthy back then, I made a few purchases.  One of them was a cassette tape copy of Sting's 1990 live album, Covering Them.  I still have that tape, which I bought in a music store in Istanbul.  But I only have one tape player that works and all my cassettes are packed up in the garage.

I decided I wanted to hear that album again, so I went to Amazon.com to see if I could score a copy.  Sure enough, someone was selling it.  It cost about $35, which is a lot for a CD... but it's a rare import and, having a copy of the cassette, I knew it was a good album.

My new CD arrived today and I'm listening to it, enjoying a younger, more rock oriented Sting do live covers by people like Bruce Springsteen, Jimi Hendrix, Woody Guthrie, and Bob Marley.  It takes me back to my youth, which is a good thing...




According to Amazon today, it looks like I got the last copy for now.  It was worth the money, though.  I take pride in my very eclectic and expansive music collection.  It's one thing I can be very proud of.

I have another rare CD on its way from Ireland by Christian new age band, Eden's Bridge.  I don't normally go for contemporary Christian music, but Eden's Bridge is not your typical CCM... plus, Sarah Lacy, lead singer of Eden's Bridge, has one of the most beautiful, serene voices ever.


When I die, I'd love this played at my funeral...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.