Thursday, January 30, 2014

Toto!

For some reason, this song by Toto was on the brain this morning…


This is a pretty good 70s era rocker and it still makes me smile today.  Toto was formed in Los Angeles in 1977 and they were pretty popular through the early 80s.  I mean, I actually bought one of their greatest hits compilations, which included some pretty well-known hits like "Rosanna"…


Though many people think this song is about actress Rosanna Arquette, who was dating band member Steve Porcaro (keyboards) at the time, this song is actually about a lot of women.  I remember liking it in 1982 when it was first released, but I quickly got sick of it.  I think it was the horn riff on the chorus. I'm not so sick of it now, though…



I liked "Africa" more than Rosanna…


Their 1986 song, "I'll Be Over You" reminds me of the stuff Chicago was doing at the time.  It's kind of lame and boring.




I do remember liking their ballad, "I Won't Hold You Back Now", though today it sounds kind of treacly and cloying.  I thought the melody was pretty.  

If you ask me, their best song was the first one I posted.  I love a good rock song with heavy guitars and keyboards and a lead singer who sizzles.  "Hold the Line" is exciting and raw, while most of Toto's other songs became polished with corporate glitz.  

I do miss the 70s… yes, I was a kid at the time and don't remember all of them, but I do remember the music.  I must be getting old.



2 comments:

  1. I like Toto. "Africa" is probably my favorite of their hits. but i basiclly like everything i've heard that they've done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lead singer in "Hold the Line" is not wearing flattering clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.