Saturday, August 31, 2013

"I Have Confidence" versus "I Believe"...

With all the hoopla over whether or not Bill and I should watch a scandalous Broadway show about the Mormon church, it occurred to me that obviously the song "I Believe" from the Book of Mormon Musical was inspired by another great Broadway tune...


Behold!  "I Believe"...

and


Julie Andrews singing "I Have Confidence".

Both songs are similarly inspirational, but if you listen to Andrew Rammell as Elder Price sing "I Believe", you will hear that he's trying to psych himself up, the same way Julie Andrews was as Maria, right down to the "What's so scary about that?"

The very beginning of "I Believe" is similar to "I Have Confidence" as Elder Price sings about being uncertain about what's going to happen.  But then his conviction comes through in a burst of inspiration and, just like Maria Von Trapp, he's bursting with joy and self worth by the end of the song...  He knows he's going to come out in glory.

I really look forward to seeing The Book of Mormon next month.  I have a feeling I'll be singing the songs for days afterwards.

2 comments:

  1. I see the similarity.

    On an onlymildly relate note, once of F & T meeting Suday, I went with one branch of my dad's family to church. One of my cousins - a girl who may have been 10 or11 at the time -- bore her testimony and said that she believed the church was true, Joseph Smith had been a prophet, presdinet Hinckley was a prophet, etc. On the way home she was reprimanded by her father for having said she BELIEVED instead of that she KNEW. Was the rule there that you must either lie or keep your mouth shut?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very grateful that religion was never that weird for me. For me, it came down to whether or not I had a job that would get me out of church. And whether or not what I was doing would be embarrassing to anyone...

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.