Wednesday, July 23, 2014

I don't care for most kid acts...

Watching America's Got Talent right now...  Lots of kid singers tonight, vying for a spot in the next level.  The vast majority of them are very talented.  But they are singing songs that are a little too mature for them.  They sing something that sounds technically perfect, but there's no emotional connection because they don't get the words.  I just heard a 15 year old sing with her dad.  I liked her dad's piano playing better than I liked her singing, even though I can't deny that she's super talented.  Why?  Because she sang it like a virgin.

At 15, she should be a virgin and I'm happy that she sounds like one.  But it doesn't work for the song she was singing, which oozed sexuality.  Her voice didn't connect and left me feeling cold.  On the other hand, there was a 12 year old who was awesome and I think she has a big future... even if I also didn't believe her when she sang the lyrics.

This isn't to say these kids don't have promising careers ahead of them.  I believe they do.  In fact, a couple of them have mind-blowing talent for their ages.  I think my issue is that they're singing songs that are way too mature for them.  But hell, even Alison Krauss sang songs that were too old for her when she was a teen.  Look how she turned out!


Exhibit A... Alison Krauss singing "Too Late To Cry".  This was a song on her debut album from 1987, when she was a mere lass of 16.  The video is from when she was 19 or 20.  She sings of waiting for her man while drinking whiskey on ice...  She's not old enough to drink and doesn't look like she would if she could.



Years later, when she became a polished star, she sang the very sexy and age appropriate "Let Me Touch You For Awhile"...  This time, it works.

So yeah, those kids are gonna do something great in the years to come.  But for now, I don't need to hear 12 year olds singing songs that were meant for people twice their ages.  They can't sell it and it falls flat, doing no one any favors.  Take some time to blossom... then come back and blow our socks off by being convincing... and sexy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.