Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Mona... ode to a pet pig

Yesterday, a clip from one of James Taylor's most recent concerts popped up on my Facebook feed.  A fan had asked him to play a song from his 1985 album, That's Why I'm Here.  She wanted to hear "Mona", a song Taylor wrote about a pig someone had given him as a pet.

If you listen to the words, they sound a bit cold and calloused.  For that reason, I'm sure, the record producers decided to put a small drawing of a pig next to the song's title.  That way, people wouldn't think James was singing about offing a girlfriend or something.


Here's the live clip from one of Taylor's concerts in July of this year.  I am impressed that he did "Mona" so well, especially since he probably hasn't played that song in years.  He does get the key right, but I'm guessing the lower pitches are easier for aging voices.
  

I can't listen to this in Germany, but maybe you can wherever you are.  I presume it's the original recording.  

It's a very witty and clever song... one of his deep cuts.  I am impressed that he was so game to pull it out of his ass the way he did at that show.  It's always nice to see an obliging musician and James Taylor is the consummate entertainer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.