Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Rappin' Rodney!

Here's a blast from the past.


Yes, Rodney Dangerfield made music...

The video for Rodney Dangerfield's hit "Rappin' Rodney" even had a cameo from Pat Benatar in it.  She played the executioner. The backup singers remind me of the Pointer Sisters, but I doubt they had anything to do with this tripe.  Rodney was pretty funny back in the day, though.  Check him out on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show.


They don't make 'em like this anymore.

At the time of its release, Dangerfield was 62 years old and his catchphrase was "I don't get no respect at all."  So they made a song about it and it was a minor hit in the 80s.  The other day, it popped into my head for no apparent reason.  I hadn't thought of that song in decades and I consider myself to be an aficionado of shitty one hit wonders from the late 70s until the early 80s.  But it made an appearance on the brain while we were in France.  I had to go looking for it and had a sudden flashback to the early 80s, when MTV was still about music on TV.

In the 1980s, Dangerfield's career was ignited with several movies.  He was in Back to School, Easy Money, and Caddyshack.  It makes sense that he'd hit the hit parade with a silly novelty song.

Now that I've thought of this song, there will surely be others.  Long live the 80s!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.