Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Tommy Page...

Yesterday, I happened to run across this video featuring the late 90s pop star, Tommy Page.  Jodie Sweetin, who played Stephanie Tanner on Full House, is doing a fine job acting like she's enchanted by Tommy Page.



Notice how Stephanie Tanner's little friends all know the same dance routine she does.  Isn't that cool?  In this clip, the late pop star, Tommy Page, sings to Stephanie for her tenth birthday.

Tommy Page died last year at the age of 46.  He was the father of three children, along with his husband.  Yes, that's right, Tommy Page was gay... not that it matters.  Back in the 90s, he was singing songs that seemed to be about heterosexual love.  In 1990, he had a big hit with the song "I'll Be Your Everything".  I will admit that although I was 18 in 1990, I don't remember that song at all.


This video probably has to be viewed on YouTube, but the freakin' site is running slow today.

I'm going to be brutally honest and say that although Page had a lot of fans, I wasn't among them.  I find that really sensitive, brooding, emotional style kind of grating.  I also don't think he was the best singer, although he clearly had musical talent.  I see he played piano and later made it as a music industry executive.  I just don't like singers who do that emotional choking thing before they sing.  It became popular in the 90s and remains so in pop music today.  I mean, just sing the note straight on.  Hit it without that contrived gasp/choke... or whatever it is.  I can't explain it.  You just have to hear it.  It's like he's trying not to cry, but it sounds really fake and annoying...  Some people must like it, though, because so many people do it.

Anyway, that singing style was probably perfect for Full House, since that show was about the feels.  They would always show the family being all loving and heartwarming while playing swelling background music.  It makes sense that they'd have a sensitive teen idol singing to Stephanie Tanner.  Of course, Page ends up breaking Stephanie's heart by hanging out with D.J. all day the next day.  Then he reveals that the song he sang to her was actually written for his girlfriend, Melanie.  That lying bastard... way to break a little girl's heart!  I am kidding, of course.

I was clearly not familiar with Tommy Page when his career was hot.  I don't know why he died so young.  Some say he committed suicide, which is a terrible tragedy, especially for the family he left behind.  But as I am someone who has experienced depression and anxiety, I know how it feels to want to commit suicide.  I don't judge him for that, if that's what ended his life.  Depression can be just as deadly as any other serious illness.

But... I don't think I'll be downloading anything by Mr. Page.  Not unless it's Jimmy Page I'm downloading.  May Tommy Page rest in peace.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.