Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Holiday Rap!

No, no, no... not a Christmas holiday...  I'm referring to "Holiday Rap", a 1986 song by the Dutch duo, M.C. Miker G & DJ Sven.  Although the song was a hit in Europe, I remember hearing it in the United States.  It has a very catchy riff that should be familiar, since it's set to the 1983 song "Holiday" by Madonna.  I think I somehow taped this song off the radio back in the day and the fact that I heard it more than once while living in the USA was just dumb luck.

Anyway, I was reminded of "Holiday Rap" yesterday, while watching a video about the show, To Catch a Predator, which was popular in the mid 00s.  Someone used a clip of "Holiday Rap" to introduce the video, and I was instantly transported to 1986.


Hmm...


I am shocked by how cheesy this is.  Were things really this cheesy in 1986?

Well, things were pretty cheesy in the 80s, but I still love the music.  It's a lot of fun to hear these old hits from back in the day, even if they make me feel older than hell.  I love how a lot of the music from those days has stood up to the test of time.  Madonna's song, "Holiday", is breezy and poppy, but it still has an infectious groove and you can dance to it.  

I'm not sure that M.C. Miker & DJ Sven have improved on Madonna's classic, but I always chuckle when I hear this rap... even when it's almost Christmas time, and this is about a summer holiday.  And based how cold it is outside today, I would welcome a summer holiday... especially if it means COVID is less of a problem.  Here's hoping.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.