Saturday, February 26, 2022

The S.O.S. Band...

 I love it when a random song from the past pops into my head.  Just a little while ago, a song called "Just Be Good To Me" started playing in my head.  I went looking for it on iTunes.  I only found a version done by a Canadian singer named Deborah Cox.  Deborah Cox recorded "Just Be Good To Me" in 1995.  She's two years younger than I am.  I knew the song was older than that, since I remember it playing on the radio when I was a kid.  Sure enough, I learned that it was released by the S.O.S. Band in 1983.


The song I remembered.  It's hard to find this song without paying an arm and a leg.

Neither iTunes nor Amazon.com had this song available by the S.O.S. Band.  If I want it, I have to pay a shitload of money.  I like the song, but not that much!  Besides, I can always listen on YouTube.  I did download Deborah Cox's version, which is pretty good and very faithful to this version.



She's got chops.  I read that she used to sing backup for Celine Dion.

Amazon.de does have "Just Be Good To Me" available to download, but I can't download stuff from their store, because I have a U.S. bank account.  I would need a German account to access the digital Amazon.de store.

Living in Germany can have its annoying sides.  Like, for instance, I am once again locked out of my PenFed account, and I have to call the bank to get it unlocked.  But I have to wait until the afternoon, because I'm six hours ahead of PenFed, which is in Virginia.  It's even worse when something happens on USAA.  They're on central time, there.  

Anyway, the S.O.S. band had another hit song back in the day.  It's called "Take Your Time, Do It Right".  I don't like that one as much as the funky "Just Be Good To Me".  For one thing, "Take Your Time" has a tendency to get stuck in my head.  It's quite an earworm.


But you sure can dance to it... or do other things.


"High Hopes" is a 1982 era hit.



"The Finest" is another hit by the S.O.S. Band, but I don't remember this one.

The S.O.S. Band stands for Sounds of Success.  They got their start in Atlanta, Georgia in 1977.  As I sit here listening to their music, realizing that they worked with some famously great producers like Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, I can understand why their sound is so infectious and still pretty great many years later.  I've always really appreciated funk, even though I'm about as white as a person can get.

I'll probably be singing that song for the rest of the day. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.