Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Young girl-- get out of my mind!

For some reason, this morning I have an old song in my head.  It's one that hasn't aged particularly well.  It's a song called from 1968 called "Young Girl", and it was sung by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap.  It has a nice melody and Gary Puckett's vocals are soulful enough... but the lyrics are about an older guy who wants to get into a young girl's pants.



"That come on look is in your eyes..."  Eeew!

I guess the men of today can relate to this song, patronizing as the words are.  Gary sings, "Get out of here before I have the time to change my mind..."  Yuck!  Control yourself, man!  Well, the words are kind of gross, as is the sentiment, but at least Gary can sing decently.

I don't know what put this in my head today.  I do see that it's in my library, although I don't think I've recently listened to it before today.  And I haven't been a "young girl" myself in over thirty years.

Wikipedia tells me that Gary Puckett and the Union Gap only lasted a few years.  They were active from 1967 until 1971, before I was even born.  However, during that time, they had a hit in "Young Girl" and even played for Prince Charles at a White House reception.  I wonder if the good prince enjoyed this music.  He did marry himself a "young girl" years later.  We all know how that turned out.

I've been neglecting this blog lately, which means it may be time to retire it.  Or maybe I'll just continue to do what I've been doing for years, which is to only write new posts when inspiration hits.  You'd think with as much time on my hands as I have, I could do that every day, but I've been busy thinking about other stuff.  Maybe 2021 will be a less traumatic year for all of us.


2 comments:

  1. He’s actually pushing her away in the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's pushing her away, but he was still tempted. He warns her to "get away" from him before he changes his mind. That's what's icky.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.