Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Johnny Nash and Eddie Van Halen... RIP!

2020 is really turning out to be a hell of a year for so many reasons.  Last night, as I was about to go to sleep, I got the news that 65 year old Eddie Van Halen, of Van Halen, died after a long bout with throat cancer.  As a child of the 70s and 80s, I grew up listening to Eddie's distinctive guitar licks.  I was pretty shocked to hear of his demise, although I'm sure he went through hell with cancer.


Not only was he a great guitar player, but he had the most adorable smile!

I was really touched that Valerie Bertinelli, Eddie's first wife, wrote a very sweet tribute to him.  It's lovely that they were able to stay friends after their split.  It sounds like she was on good terms with his second wife, too.  Eddie and Valerie shared their son, 29 year old Wolfgang, who is now the bass player for Van Halen.  However, I can't even imagine how they will be able to replace Eddie.  His sound was unmistakably his.  Rock music lost a great innovator with Eddie's death.  May he rest in peace.

Then this morning, I read about Johnny Nash, singer and guitar player famous for the song "I Can See Clearly Now", also passed away.  Nash was 80 years old and had been in declining health.  He died of natural causes at home in Houston, Texas, where he was born.  


I don't know him as well as Eddie, but I do know this song...  Maybe I need to listen to more of his stuff.

I was just thinking how much 2016 sucked as so many great musicians passed into the great beyond.  2020 is definitely giving 2016 a run for its money in suckitude.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.