Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Nightingale...

Sometimes around 2004 or so, I discovered singer-songwriter Jude Johnstone, who has written a lot of songs that have been performed by other people.  In particular, Trisha Yearwood and Bonnie Raitt, two singers I highly admire, have both sung songs by Jude.  I own a couple of Jude Johnstone's albums.  She has an edgy voice that couples well with her moody, expressive lyrics.  One song Jude Johnstone wrote, sung, and passed on to Trisha Yearwood, is a song called "The Nightingale".


Here's Trisha Yearwood's version of the song.  I tried to find one with Jude singing, but no one has uploaded it to YouTube.  I recommend both versions.  I often really enjoy songs performed by the people who have written them, though in general, I like Trisha's voice better than Jude's.

I, myself, also took a stab at this lovely song.  It turned out nicely, though I really need to go out and take some more photos so I can change the photos in my videos.  I was excited when I found this track available.


I'm making recordings for my husband, since he said he would like to have an "album" by me.  It's nice to have a fan.






2 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge Trisha Yearwood fan, although I'm far from actively disliking her. Regardless, I thought your version was better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not a big fan of "modern country", but I like Trisha's voice because it reminds me of Linda Ronstadt's voice in the 70s. Her voice is a little more polished and subdued than Linda's was... and the style is more pop country while Linda's was country rock. I probably prefer Linda's voice to Trisha's. I like some of Trisha's song choices too, though not really the ones that are very commercial. I had actually heard Jude Johnstone's version of this song first.

      Thanks for the compliment on the song. I think Trisha did a good job with it, so if you think I did better, that's quite a nice comment!

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.