Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Another quick post, especially for music nerds...

Recently, I wrote yet another post for the music blog I've been asked to contribute to and, in keeping with one of my posts here on Dungeon of the Past, I thought I'd write about horrible versions of cover songs.  Olivia Newton-John did a pretty crappy job with "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash, but it turns out I was completely unaware of a pretty horrible cover job by Tom Jones...



As I listened to this rockin' Tom Jones creation, I was immediately reminded of a song by Lynyrd Skynyrd...


which has an arrangement eerily similar to Tom Jones' version of "Ring of Fire"....  You could probably mash them together... Especially since "Ring of Fire" reminds me of hemorrhoids and "Swamp Music" reminds me of swamp ass...

And then it occurred to me that both of these songs sound a little like "You Talk Too Much" by George Thorogood...


which led me to think of another Lynyrd Skynyrd song... which admittedly is a half step or so higher than the other three songs, but is still kind of arranged in the same way.



Weird.


2 comments:

  1. There should be an international law against any Welsh person -- and especially tom Jones -- singing anything by johnny Cash.

    That it one of the worst covers I've heard. Any cover the MoTab does is, of course, abysmal. They should only sing religious stuff. And I once heard Olivia Newton John's version of "Me and Bobby McGee"which permanently affected me in a very bad way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... it sucks, alright. I'm still a little weirded out by how much it sounds like "Swamp Music". But according to my research, Tom Jones's version of "Ring of Fire" came out about ten years before "Swamp Music" did. George Thorogood's song came out around 1988 or so.

    Olivia Newton-John's "Ring of Fire" is probably just as bad as Tom Jones's ... I haven't heard her "Me and Bobby McGee". I can't imagine it sounds right.

    The MoTab is full of drones.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.