Friday, January 25, 2013

Party Town...

For some reason, an old song by Glenn Frey popped in my head last night.


I have always enjoyed The Eagles.  I even like Glenn Frey as a solo singer sometimes, though I prefer Don Henley's efforts to his.  Back in the early 80s, The Eagles broke up amid lots of drug abuse and hard feelings.  Glenn Frey decided to bust out with a solo career...

He released this nice song...


"The One You Love" is a nice ballad.  I decided I wanted it in my collection a few years ago, so I bought the CD it came from... and ended up with this song...

I guess Glenn Frey felt the need to write a party anthem for the masses.  So he came out with "Party Town", which back in the day was used a lot on the radio for Friday night.  This song is all about going out, having a good time, and telling the boss to go to hell... or in this case, kiss your ass.

A lot of Glenn Frey's solo stuff was pretty schlocky.  It lacked the magic of Henley.  Together, they created a lot of really good songs.  I guess their partnership could be described as "together they stand, divided they fall..."  Actually, I shouldn't say that.  I like what Don Henley has done on his own, even if he is reputed to be quite the prima donna.  And even Glenn Frey's stuff can be appealing sometimes, even if he does overdose on saxophones and synthesizers sometimes.  




"I Found Somebody"

and the ever obscure...



"All Those Lies"... aka "Ode to Paranoia"

God bless Glenn Frey.  I hope he enjoys "Party Town".

2 comments:

  1. I like the Eagles. My dad is a major classic rock addict and listens to stuff like Eagles, Steely Dan, journey, KISS, Styx, Fleetwood Mac, and stuff of that ilk entirely too much. I think everyone in my family is probably, like you, more Don Henley fans than Glenn Frey fans, though Frey, too, was talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenn Frey and Don Henley together are magical. Glenn Frey by himself... not so much. I like classic rock a lot. All of those bands you listed are high on my list, with the exception of Kiss. When I was a kid, there were Kiss dolls... I never had one. I thought they were creepy as hell!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.