Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Chris Rea...

My mother-in-law loves this old song by Chris Rea...



Mother-in-law is a former competitive ballroom dancer and she likes this song because it has a perfect beat for her type of dancing.  I like it because it reminds me of being a kid.  The late 1970s was kind of a magical time for me.  I loved the music on the radio.  I mostly liked where we were living and was oblivious to reasons why I would hate it.  And I was too young for responsibilities.

Years later, I encountered Chris Rea again when I was in the Peace Corps.  For some reason, the Armenians liked his stuff and I ended up buying a bootleg cassette with a couple of hits on it...


"The Road To Hell"



"Texas"

and the ever popular...


"Just Wanna Be With You"... which if I recall correctly, was also used as montage music on an episode of Baywatch.

Chris Rea had sort of a sexy style and a voice that reminds me a little of Mark Knopfler's.  Still, I can't listen to his music and not think of my two years in Armenia in the mid 1990s, where people liked Chris Rea for being smooth, suave, and sensual.  And thanks to the Baywatch connection, I'm also reminded of David Hasselhof.  

I kind of miss him on America's Got Talent...


Leonid the Magnificent tells the Hof to go to hell...  Good for him!

2 comments:

Comments on older posts will be moderated.