Thursday, January 17, 2013

Maureen McGovern...

Alexis has inspired yet another post by bringing up a song by Maureen McGovern, a singer who was popular in the 1970s.


"The Morning After" from The Poseidon Adventure was probably her best known hit...


and "We May Never Love Like This Again" from The Towering Inferno...



followed by "Can You Read My Mind" from Superman.

When I was a kid, my Dad had her 1974 album Nice To Be Around.




Here's her song "Love Knots" from that album... 


And "Everybody Wants To Call You Sweetheart"...

Both of these songs are incredibly mid 70s in their stylings.  I was a toddler in the mid 1970s, so that's probably why I liked these songs growing up.  Today, they kind of make me cringe.

In the late 70s, she recorded the theme song "Different Worlds" for the sitcom Angie, which starred Robert Hays and Donna Pescow.  I'm proud to admit that I used to watch that show.  It was about a waitress who marries a millionaire.


Speaking of Robert Hays, he was one of the stars of Airplane!, one of my favorite movies.  Maureen McGovern made an appearance on that film, too, as Sister Angelina, the nun who slaps the shit out of a hysterical woman.

Maureen McGovern has an official Web site, which dubs her "The Stradivarius Voice".   She has nice chops, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to compare her voice to that of a famous violin.  It looks like she's still around, though, and still singing. 

4 comments:

  1. I can't remember if we've ever discussed this, but what do you think of "I've Never Been to Me" by Charlene, who was, I believe, a one-name one-hit wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems to me "I've Never Been To Me" has come up before. When that song was popular, I remember liking it. Now it makes me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is off-topic, but I wish society would cease to humor one-same celebrities, be they in they entertainment world, the sports word, or whatever. (I suppose I'll make an exception in the case of royalty, especially since I don't really care that much about them, anyway.) The single-name thing is a somewhat nauseating way of declaring oneself to be greater than anyone who ever has or ever will possess the name. Entertainers can label their CDs whatever way they want, but if they refuse to choose a surname, we as the general public should use whatever is the name of record of the celebrity in question when referencing said celebrity.

    What brought this to my consciousness was Beyonce at the presidential inauguration. I thought she did a nice job with the national anthem though I think she over-embellished (just because one CAN embellish notes with ease does not necessarily mean one SHOULD do so in all cases, particularly with classics or, in my opinion, with our national anthem) and I don't like it when entertainers exercise their musical license to sing it in 4/4. (The song is long enough as it is without tacking an additional count to every measure.) Still, I found it pretentious at such an event for her to have had herself introduced solely by her first name. Yes, it is the way she always identifies herself, but it would have been a fitting place for her to have discovered a sense of decorum and/or modesty. She's good, but not THAT good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear hear, Alexis! I'm not a fan of vocal gymnastics, by and large. I didn't really watch the inauguration because I make it a point not to watch political bullshit on TV. And I'm generally turned off by celebrities performing at government functions, probably because I'm an Army wife and I know how bland the government really is.

    And yeah, the one name thing is annoying and smacks of narcissism.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.