Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Obscure 80s dance songs from my youth...

"Crazy Crazy World" by Big Trouble...



For some reason, I taped this song off the radio... listened to it all the time when I was about 15 years old... and then forgot all about it.  Then when I remembered it, I couldn't recall the title of the song or the band that sang it.  Looks like it was a minor one hit wonder.  It sounds totally 1987, which makes me feel really old.  Can't believe that was 26 years ago.

"Whenever You're Ready" by Five Star



This is another song I taped off the radio and never found out who sang it or what the title was.  They were a family band from England, but they disappeared after "Whenever You're Ready" was a hit, also around 1987.  I just discovered this other song they have on YouTube.  I had never heard of it before today, but had to add it to this post because that dance routine kills me.



Another band I remember from that era was T'Pau...



They had kind of a big hit song with "Heart and Soul", but then they went the way of the dodo bird.  Haven't seen them since '87.  I actually got really sick of this song.

Then there was Jermaine Stewart, who had a song called "We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off"...  I think he was a Soul Train dancer, but I'm not positive.  This was a reasonably decent hit back in the 80s.  It's another song I accidentally taped and ended up liking.  Unfortunately, Jermaine Stewart died in 1997.  He was only 39 and had AIDS related liver cancer.



Once we are in our new digs, I'll have to add more dance songs to this blog...  This is kinda fun.

2 comments:

  1. "We don't Have to TakeOur Clothes off" reminds me of a fellow that my dad had about four years ago. Every now and then we'd have him over, and he came to our house for holidays whenn he coudn't get enough time off to go home,becuse he was a 26-year-old bachelor with no family within two thousand miles.

    Anyway, the guy was a real cad. I'd hate t inherit his sexual hisptry. he was very good looking, and it apparently didn't take much persuasion on his part to get a woman in the sack. I think he bedded every single remotely attractive nurse or unmarried female doctor (and probably a few who were married) under the age of fifty in the hospital. I don't know what his count was on the clerical employees x-ray techs, phlebotomists, and all, but presumably he bedded a few of them as well. Hre'd look at me and say, "Alexis, you're waaaayyy to young now, but in about ten years." I was fourteen, but looked younger, and he probably thought it would take ten years for e to meet his physical standards.

    Anyway, this total sleaze, who was actually a nice guy if sex wasn't a possibility, thought this was his personal theme song, and went around singing it all the time. It was really irritating to y dad. he'd say something t the effect of, "Why do you keep singing that song? you're the antithesis of that song!" Once my dad said, "Why didn't you sing that song in the inteview? Then I would've nown better than to hire you."

    I'd forgotten that son even existed. Hearing it reminds me of Dr. Anthony. He's supposedly reformed and has found the love of his life, and they plan to be married in June. my parents are providing music for the wedding, although my dad met with him the last time he was in the Bay Area to make sure he really had reformed and that this wedding wasn't just a farce in which some unfortunate woman would be cheated on regularly. My dad wanted no part of it if the guy was going to continue his non-monogamous ways (I'm not sure youcall it polygamy if the guy is just having affairs). My dad was convinced it's the real deal, and if the relationship can withstand the next ten months until the weddding, the marriage will probably make it at least to the national average , whatever that happens to be.
    Thanks for reminding me of this song.

    I'll probably have to go to the wedding because I'll probably play violin. If the guy says, "Alexis, if you were just ten years older," to men at either the rehearsal or the wedding, I'll slug him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeew!!!

      Well, I hope he has reformed... for his wife's sake, especially. Bill doesn't have it in him to cheat. I did tell him that if he ever put my health at risk by screwing around, I would never forgive him. But he won't do that because he didn't cheat on his ex wife, even when they were separated. And he every reason in the world to cheat on her.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.