Saturday, August 24, 2013

Linda Ronstadt has lost her voice...

I will probably blog about this on Pop Rock Nation next week, but I wanted to post about Linda Ronstadt and her sudden revelation that she was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease eight months ago.  Apparently, she had been experiencing symptoms for about eight years, but finally saw a neurologist who figured out what the problem is.  Linda Ronstadt says that she can't sing a note anymore and that no one with Parkinson's Disease can sing.

I was very sad to read about this.  Linda Ronstadt is one of my many inspirations.  I have always enjoyed her huge voice and willingness to dabble in so many styles.  My father is also dealing with Parkinson's Disease and was always a singer.  He can't sing anymore either, mainly because he was intubated with a trach tube for many weeks and one of his vocal cords atrophied.  But I imagine the Parkinson's Disease really doesn't help at all.

I can't imagine how devastating it must be for someone so gifted to suddenly lose that gift.  I love singing and get so much joy from it.  I would be sad if I couldn't do it anymore.  I remember when I lived in Armenia, I got sick with a nasty cold that somehow got into my chest and messed up my voice for weeks.  For several weeks, I could speak normally, but completely lost my ability to sing.  I finally recovered, but I remember well how that felt.  But, of course, temporarily losing my voice is nothing compared to permanently losing it.

Julie Andrews can probably relate, too.  She had vocal nodes and got surgery that permanently affected her voice.  Julie Andrews had one of the most splendid instruments.  I'm certain that after that surgery, her life changed in a huge way.  I read Julie Andrews' life story several years ago.  She ended her story in 1962.  I guess she figured she could write another book about the rest of her life.

Linda Ronstadt has a new memoir coming out next month.  I understand she makes no mention of Parkinson's Disease or her vocal loss.  I still look forward to reading about her musical life.  I hope writing is as fulfilling to her as making music has been.













2 comments:

  1. It's so sad when anyone has something that they love doing and do so well, and then can't do it anymore.

    Parkinson's is ugly and mean.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.