Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Pointer Sisters...

Ruth, June, Anita and Bonnie Pointer were sisters from Oakland, California who had a great career in the 70s and 80s.  My childhood was punctuated by songs they sang, including a memorable cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Fire".


I always liked this song, though I also liked Bruce Springsteen's smoldering original…


They also had a great hit with "I'm So Excited", which I always thought was one of their better songs.  Of course, that song eventually became infamous when it was sung on Saved By The Bell by Jessie Spano…


The Pointer Sisters had some pretty gnarly 80s hits like "Neutron Dance"…



Although I think I like the way these ladies did it better…



Lead is sung here on "American Music" by another Pointer Sister, Anita…


Here they are singing "Automatic" on Soul Train.  Damn, it's been years since I last thought of this song.

 

"Slow Hand" was another good song by The Pointer Sisters, even if I wonder if it was about being masturbated by one's lover.




I never cared much for "Jump!", though I know it's now an 80s classic.


Here they sing "He's So Shy", which was an early hit for the sisters.

Sadly, June Pointer died in 2006 and apparently, there's been a lot of contention among the Pointer Sisters.  But they were a big part of my youth and even today, I enjoy listening to their biggest hits.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.