Friday, February 7, 2014

Welcome to the Boomtown...

I remember very well David & David's song "Welcome to the Boomtown", a song that was popular in 1986.  I was a freshman in high school and suddenly felt so grown up.  The song's serious, dark mood kind of captured me in those days.



Four years after this song came out, I purchased the album it came from on cassette tape at an obscure gift store in Farmville, Virginia.  I used to listen to that album fairly frequently, even though it wasn't all that popular.

I thought of it for some reason today as I was looking at a friend's photos of her trip to Germany and Austria, where she managed to get photos of an ambulance guy.  She works in the ambulance business and European ambulances excited her.  I guess the mention of the word "ambulance" set my mental gears to grinding.

"Welcome to the Boomtown" was actually the title of the album from which it came.  The second hit was called "Swallowed By The Cracks", I think.


It was even more obscure than the first hit was…  and I thought "Welcome to the Boomtown" was a pretty damn good song.  In any case, this was David & David's only release.  They disbanded after this project and now work with other musicians.  Notably, they worked with Sheryl Crow and her Tuesday Night Music Club album in 1994.  Damn, I feel old now.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with any of the music. Boomtown is kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wouldn't expect you to be. People my age aren't even familiar with it. I used to hear it played on the rock station I used to listen to back in the 80s. It wasn't popular for long. It got buried by stupid 80s era dance songs. I think "Welcome to the Boomtown" is what they'd call a critical success that didn't quite appeal to the masses. But I liked it.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.