Monday, January 11, 2016

Rest in peace, David Bowie...

I got the sad news this morning that David Bowie died.  He was just sixty-nine years old and had been suffering from cancer for 18 months.  The press hasn't indicated what kind of cancer he had.

Growing up in the 70s and 80s, I listened to a lot of David Bowie's music.  It was all over the radio at the time.  One song that always haunted me was "This Is Not America", which he did in 1985 with Pat Metheny.


Cool song...

He was also known for his duet with Mick Jagger, "Dancing in the Street".  This video usually makes me cringe, but it is a memorable song.


This video always cracks me up.  David Bowie and Mick Jagger were very flamboyant in this performance.


David Bowie probably became mainstream in the 80s, but his 70s era stuff was really cool and timeless.  I love songs like...


"Young Americans"


And "Golden Years"...

He was such an elegant, artistic, imaginative, glamorous, talented man.  The music world is richer because he was in it, making his unusual and distinctive sound.


"Ziggy Stardust"

I could always add songs like "Let's Dance", "Blue Jean", and "China Girl", but I have a feeling I'm going to see those songs plastered all over my Facebook feed today.  Anyway... while others are definitely bigger David Bowie fans than I am, I am genuinely sad that he's gone now.  I'm always sad when a music legend dies.  It seems like we have so many fewer of them now.  I'm sending warm thoughts to Bowie's family, friends, and other loved ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.