Sunday, January 3, 2016

Spandau Ballet

I can't believe I've taken so long to write a post about Spandau Ballet.  When I was in my early teens in the mid 80s, they were quite a popular group.  I was a big fan of their song "True", which was featured prominently in the movie, Sixteen Candles.   No 80s teen worth their salt missed that movie.


Ah... "True" is such a romantic number.  So many school dances, so many clunky attempts at slow dancing, so many thanks that I didn't marry someone from my hometown...

"True" was probably their biggest hit, but they had a few other dramatic, exciting, 80s era numbers.  I remember loving "Gold".  Every time I hear it, I'm reminded of Thanksgiving in Natural Bridge, Virginia, which is where my father grew up.  In the 80s, my uncle still ran the hotel in Natural Bridge and it was a nice place to stay.  I used to go with my then best friend and we'd listen to 80s hits... and boy, do I remember Spandau Ballet and "Gold".

This song is so exciting!  It reminds me of a James Bond film!

And then there's the ever popular hit, "Only When You Leave"... also very thrilling for a pre-pubescent version of myself.


Here's a live version of "Only When You Leave"...  I wish I could post the album version, but Germany is strict about such things.

It occurs to me that I have very little Spandau Ballet in my personal music collection.  I may have to rectify that later.  What an awesomely amazing 80s group they were.  

On another note, happy new year...  

2 comments:

  1. Had to have seen "16 Candles", (53yo f here). Its a great movie. I guess what's her name kinda fizzled out of motion picture life. I fondly remember the scene when her dad surprised her with the prom gown...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be thinking of Pretty In Pink, which was also a John Hughes film starring Molly Ringwald.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.