Friday, August 17, 2018

Rest in peace, Aretha Franklin...

I remember the first time I ever heard Aretha Franklin's name.  It was 1980 and I was in the third grade.  I had a classmate with an unusual name.  This girl was in my class, although she was in what was considered the "slower" group.  I think she was at least a year older than I was because she'd been held back.  Her name was Retha, and she was white and came from our very provincial town.  Back then, we were friends, although we didn't stay friends beyond that year.  We ran in different crowds.

I remember going home one day that school year and telling my mom that I had a new friend named Retha.  My mom said, "I wonder where that name came from.  Is she black?"

I said, "No, she's white."

"Maybe she was named after Aretha Franklin." Mom said.

"Who's that?" I asked.

"She's a very famous black singer." Mom said.


Aretha in 2017, still demanding "Respect".  She was quite regal when she performed, very befitting of the "Queen of Soul".  

For all I know, my friend's unusual name was in honor of the Queen of Soul, who died yesterday after having been very ill.  I haven't seen or talked to Retha since high school.  I don't think I talked to her much when we were in high school, either, because, like I said, we ran in different crowds.  I remember her to be someone who cared less about school than I did.  She seemed to be more into boys.  My mom probably would not have approved of her, had she met her.  My mom has always been a bit classist.

However, for some reason, I never forgot that innocuous conversation with my mom.  Every time I heard Aretha Franklin's unmistakable pipes, I'd think of Retha, the girl from my third grade class.  And then I would forget Retha and concentrate on Aretha's magnificent range and passion.  She truly was in a class by herself.


Although this is definitely not among Aretha's most impressive songs, it's always been a guilty pleasure for me.

Oddly enough, though, the first time I remember hearing "Respect", it was sung by Maureen McGovern on the film "Airplane!".  She was playing a nun trying to comfort a passenger who had food poisoning.  When I heard Aretha's version, Maureen's uptight nun version seemed all the more ridiculous.


The jive brothers aren't impressed.

I remember in the 1980s, Aretha Franklin had a few Top 40 hits.  She sang, "Who's Zoomin' Who?" and "Freeway of Love", both songs that adolescent me liked.  Of course, neither were as memorable as Franklin's remake of Otis Redding's "Respect" or "Think".  Actually, I can't listen to "Think" and not think of yet another white person.  In 1990, Canadian figure skater Elizabeth Manley skated to Aretha Franklin's song, "Think", and I never forgot it.  I think that might have even been the first time I ever heard that song.


Liz Manley skates to an Aretha Franklin hit.  Manley won the silver medal in ladies figure skating in 1988.  I seem to remember the first time I saw this performance, Manley used the original version.  

Of course I knew "Respect" in those days, but that was the first time I'd heard "Think", which kind of blew my mind.  Not long after that, I invested in a double CD set featuring Aretha Franklin's hits.  I discovered a lot of her other hits... songs like "I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)", which I think I heard the first time at a party in Yerevan, Armenia.  I watched yet another white person dancing to her music.  He got mad when I slammed into him. 


Actually, this is probably one of my favorite Aretha Franklin songs.  It's so soulful and emotional.  It takes a lot to be able to deliver this kind of performance.

Some time later, I was back in the States and watching 7th Heaven.  Actress Jessica Biel, then about fourteen years old and playing Mary Camden, was singing in a band.  She bravely took on Franklin's "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man".  


Um...  I'm not sure this was the best song for her...


Her version of "Respect" sounds a little like "The Hard Knock Life" from Annie.

Aretha Franklin was the kind of singer who appealed to everyone.  She had a voice that made everyone respond.  However, although many people tried to emulate her, almost no one could hold a candle to her.  She was in her own league.  


This is a Carole King song... and while I'd rather hear Carole sing it, Aretha Franklin certainly made it hers!  Look at how the audience responds!  


Another memorable take on "Natural Woman"...  It's not that I don't appreciate Aretha's classic take on it-- it's more that I like to hear songwriters performing their music.  I can't deny that Aretha turned Carole's song into a gold mine.  

I'll be honest.  It's taken me a very long time to learn to fully appreciate Aretha Franklin.  In fact, I'm not sure I appreciate her as much as I should.  I haven't listened to nearly enough of her music.  She truly was a goddess in the music world, though, and worthy of all of the respect.  We lost another musical legend yesterday, on the same date we lost the King of Rock and Roll in 1977.  Maybe Aretha is up there in Heaven, singing with George Michael again...


Two stars in Heaven.

Anyway... Godspeed, Aretha.  You were a rare and unique talent and the world will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.