Wednesday, December 19, 2018

I'm sure your alibis are water tight...

Last week, before I got regular Internet access again, I had a song from the 1980s stuck in my head.  I didn't know it last week, but the song was called "Alibis" and it was performed by Brazilian band leader, Sergio Mendes.  Sergio Mendes has been around for many years.  I think he's been leading bands since the 1960s.  His band has gone through different incarnations.

In the 1980s, Sergio Mendes had a few pop hits.  I wrote about a couple of them early this year, but somehow I missed "Alibis", which was a hit when I was about twelve years old.  It definitely has that 80s sound.  Check it out.



Joe Pizzulo sings lead on this hit, although since it was on Solid Gold, he was probably lip syncing.

Sergio Mendes wasn't unlike Santana in that different people sing lead.  Mendes is the band's leader, but he gets singers to be the frontpeople.  In 1983, Mendes rejoined Herb Alpert's A&M label and worked with Alpert's wife, Lani Hall, on a few songs.  A&M went defunct in 1999, but it hosted a lot of really great acts from my youth, including the Carpenters, Sting, Joan Baez, Styx, and Burt Bacharach, among many others.

I don't know why, but "Alibis" always reminds me of riding my bike back and forth to the barn when I was twelve.  It was a summer hit, if I recall correctly, and lent itself well on my Walkman.  I still think it sounds good today, thirty-four years later...

I am getting so old...  but I really do think music was better back in the day.  I have turned into my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.