Thursday, January 24, 2019

Billy Vera and the Beaters...

Those of you who have seen my main blog may know that I've recently been binge watching Family Ties.  When the show was at its most popular, the character Alex P. Keaton (played by Michael J. Fox) was dating Ellen Reed (played by Tracy Pollan-- his now wife of thirty years and mother of his four children).  Alex and Ellen were an item for about two years or so.  In the 1980s sitcom world, that was a really long time...  long enough for them to have a love theme.


Alex and Ellen get close for the first time.

Alex and Ellen slow danced to the song "At This Moment" by Billy Vera and the Beaters.  The year was 1985, and it became a hit.  But "At This Moment" was actually released in 1981 by a Japanese label that eventually went under.  The Japanese label, Alfa, had signed Billy Vera and the Beaters and released a live album they did at West Hollywood's Roxy back in 1981.  The single, "At This Moment" peaked at #79 at the end of 1981.  Another single by the band, "I Can Take Care of Myself" was the band's first top 40 hit (at #39, no less), but for the life of me, I don't remember ever hearing it.


Billy Vera belts out "At This Moment".

Although Billy Vera and the Beaters are still playing, to my knowledge, this was the band's one big hit.  And it became a hit because a producer from the show Family Ties happened to hear Billy Vera and his band play it at a club in Southern California.  They used the song on the show; it became a huge hit several years after its initial release; and even today, it sounds pretty good.


"I Can Take Care of Myself"... I don't remember this.  It sounds a little like a white soul version of "The Best of My Love" by the Emotions, at least at the beginning of the song.

This is a pretty good band and Billy Vera has a great voice.  Unfortunately, I think he might be a victim of video killing the radio star.  I hate that youth and good looks are so important in the entertainment industry.  Ah well...

"At This Moment" has the distinction of bringing back a hilarious memory I shared with my sister, Becky.  She's very good at making up new song lyrics and she did so with that song...


What did you think I would say at this moment?
When you're standin' there before me... with blood in your eyes?
You look like you've been drinkin'...
And I know I've been thinkin'... I wanna break up with you...

There was more to her version, but the first verse was the funniest.  I may have to finish it myself today, if I can't think of something else to write about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.