Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Rest in peace, James Ingram...

Just before I went to sleep last night, I got the news that James Ingram died yesterday.  His death was announced on Twitter by his old friend, Debbie Allen.  Ms. Allen, fondly remembered as Lydia Grant on Fame, did not specify the cause or time of death.  However, I woke up this morning to see Mr. Ingram's death being reported by the likes of the New York Times

I grew up in the 1980s, so my childhood was peppered with songs by James Ingram.  I always appreciated his rich, warm, elegant baritone and R&B sensibility.  I can't think of a single song he ever did that I didn't enjoy.  I especially loved his duets with Patti Austin, "Baby, Come To Me" and "How Do You Keep the Music Playing", both of which I like to sing myself.


Sigh... 


Patti Austin and James Ingram were perfect together.

James Ingram also memorably sang "Somewhere Out There" with Linda Ronstadt, a song I like to sing myself.  And he sang the soulful, faithful duet, "Yah Mo Be There" with Michael McDonald.


"Somewhere Out There"


"Yah Mo Be There"

I also remember his hits, "One Hundred Ways" and "Just Once", both of which came out in the early 1980s and still sound great over 35 years later. 


"One Hundred Ways"


"Just once"

I remember buying his greatest hits compilation, The Power of Great Music, when I was in college and a member of BMG Music Club.  I wasn't familiar with all of the songs on that CD, but once I listened to them, I loved each song.  Mr. Ingram kind of dropped off the radar in the 90s and 00s.  I do remember wondering what happened to him.  I notice that he stayed married to just one woman, Debra Robinson, whom he married in 1975, before he was a star.  

It always saddens me to hear about the death of people who were popular when I was a child.  James Ingram was just 66 years old, which seems too young for death.  My heart goes out to his family and friends who knew him best and will miss his presence for more than just the great music he made.

Rest in peace, James Ingram.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.