Friday, July 24, 2020

Pan's People...

I just now discovered "Pan's People", a dance troupe that used to perform on Britain's music show, Top of the Pops, back in the 1970s.  We lived in England in the 70s, so I remember seeing that show.  My sisters used to watch it all the time.  However, I was too young to really appreciate it, and I had never heard of Pan's People when I discovered their interesting brand of dance yesterday.  Apparently, they were fixtures of Top of the Pops from 1968 until 1976.  We were in England from 1975 until 1978.


This was not the first video I saw by them...


Nor was this...

As I watched them, I was reminded a little of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.  They are very beautiful 1970s era ladies, with natural looks... no tattoos, no piercings other than in their ears, and very clean looking.  I read that two of the ladies have already died.  Most of them were born in the 1940s, although I read that one was born in 1955, making her very young when these videos were made.



This is the first video I saw.  I was inspired to look at it because I was in a Facebook group talking about college memories.  I took a social and recreational dance class, and the professor actually taught us The Hustle!  It was in 1991 and even then, that was an old dance!  My friend Andrew says this video is blocked in the United States.  He was able to search and find it on another source.

I am a terrible dancer myself.  My sister was very good at it-- good enough to go to the Royal Ballet School in England.  Me?  I have two left feet.  But I do enjoy watching dancing, and these ladies were definitely stylish.  Check out their dance to "Green River" by CCR.


They really capture the grittiness of that song.


And here they are dancing to "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers.

I'm really glad I was born in the 70s.  I think that was a good time for music and TV.  Yes, TV was cheesy back then, but it was fun and there were people paid to act instead of reality show contestants.  I much prefer the music of that time, too, because it was less about who looked pretty and more about who had talent and luck.  I would imagine that getting exposure was harder in those days.  Pan's People were definitely exposed!


Cool interview about Pan's People.

I am really enjoying watching them.  It's funny that in the 70s, they were considered pretty racy.  

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.