Saturday, July 4, 2020

Fred Knoblock or Knobloch...

Yesterday, I was introduced to a singer-songwriter named Fred Knobloch.  I see on the album cover that accompanied the YouTube video where I first heard him has his named spelled "Knoblock".  I laughed a little at that, since Knobloch is pretty close to the spelling of the German word for garlic, which is "Knoblauch".

Anyway, this is the song I heard for the first time yesterday.  It was from 1980, and I hear it was a hit in some parts of the United States.


It's kind a nice song.  Sounds appropriate for the time.  I probably would have liked it.

This song is about a guy who's upset because his ex girlfriend is getting married.  He wants to know why he wasn't the one she married.  I would submit that if you're at someone's wedding wondering why she didn't marry you instead, you're probably not that concerned about what makes her happy.  That, in and of itself, is probably why not you...  Or maybe she doesn't see what she's missing...  and I'm glad you didn't throw that rice.

I'm making fun of this song, but it's not bad at all...  It's relatable.  Fred has a nice voice.  And he's done better songs, too, like this one that Trisha Yearwood did back in 1997.


I really like this one... would love to try it myself.  It was also covered by Etta James.


I noticed Mr. Knobloch left a comment, so I visited his YouTube channel.


And here he is more recently, performing quite well.


I love it when I find stuff I never even knew existed.  I probably would have been a fan of J. Fred Knobloch if I'd known about him back in the day.  He's probably written a number of songs I've loved over the years.  I'm going to have to get to know him better.  

Edited to add... well what do you know?  It turns out Fred Knobloch recorded a long long song!  I've been wanting to know who wrote and sang this song for years!


Wow!!!  I've been wracking my brain over this song for some time.  But, just like the Canadian Mounties always get their man, I always figure out my songs...  I swear, prior to yesterday, I had never heard of Fred Knobloch, but I remembered this song, even if I haven't heard it since the early 80s.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.