Sunday, June 14, 2020

The Motels...

For some reason, the other night I thought of a band I hadn't thought of in years... The Motels.  When I was a kid, they had a few well received hits.  Probably their biggest and best known song was "Only the Lonely", which still sounds good over thirty-five years after it was a hit.  They were also known for "Shame", "Take the L", and "Suddenly Last Summer".  The last song reminds me a bit of "Only the Lonely", but with a quicker tempo.

This band was led by Martha Davis, who has kind of a deep, broody voice.  I remember The Motels fell apart at one point, but then were featured on VH1's show, Bands Reunited.  Looks like they are still performing, although perhaps not with the same people.  Judging by The Motels' Wikipedia page, there have been many folks in this band in its long history.  

I've always enjoyed Martha Davis's vocals.  They're unique and sexy.  As I've been learning the guitar lately, I've developed more of an appreciation for singers.  The voice is one instrument that can't really be replicated.  It's possible to imitate someone, or mimic their sound, but when it comes down to it, everyone has a unique voice.  I suppose to some extent, the same could be said for most instruments.  How they will sound depends on who's playing.  I can tell my mom's piano playing anywhere.  I can tell Elton John's style, too... and James Taylor's guitar playing is unique.  But you can buy an instrument that is identical to another.

Anyway, here are a few songs by The Motels.  Long may people continue to "check in" to their sound.


"Suddenly Last Summer"


"Take the L" out of lover and it's over...  Clever!


My personal favorite, "Only the Lonely", which was featured on Solid Gold.


And "Shame"... which isn't too bad, although it's probably my least favorite of their hits.

On a different note, Blogger has vastly changed its format.  It's more like WordPress now.  I kind of liked the way Blogger used to be, but WordPress has some privacy features that I need for my other blogs.  This one isn't that popular, so I just keep it on Blogger.  That way, I don't have to pay.  


Martha Davis is still kicking.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.