Tuesday, May 26, 2020

I didn't know "Tattoo" was a singer...

Yet another bizarre musical number from the past came to my consciousness the other.  A friend shared this video of the late Herve Villechaize, who famously played Tattoo on Fantasy Island back in the day.  Apparently, acting wasn't the Frenchman's only talent...


"Why Do People Have To Fight?"  Good question, Herve.

Apparently, Mr. Villechaize was on Dinah Shore's talk show in the early 80s, and he sang his heart out on television.  I used to love watching Fantasy Island when I was growing up in the 1980s.  I remember very well, watching Herve yell "The plane!  The plane" with every new episode.  I miss the days when TV shows were completely campy and silly.


"Hello Boss..."  Back when Ricardo Montalban was still alive and not in a wheelchair.

But Herve suffered, even though he was a star.  I remember very clearly back in the 1990s, when I heard he'd committed suicide.  His girlfriend, Kathy Self, found him dead after he shot himself.  He'd left a note explaining that he was driven to suicide due to long term health problems.  His organs were too large for his small body, and he spent years in pain, kneeling to sleep so he could breathe.


I could use a little breather.

Herve Villechaize was born with dwarfism, the youngest of four children born to an English mother and a French surgeon.  It was believed that the dwarfism was caused by an endocrine disorder, which his father unsuccessfully tried to cure.  As he got older, he insisted on being called a "midget" instead of a "dwarf".  While "dwarf" is a medical term, it seems to have become a slur, as the term "midget" has.  Nowadays, people seem to prefer the term "little person".

Besides acting and singing, Herve Villechaize was also an artist and photographer, and that was how he made his living before he fell into the world of entertainment.  

When I saw his music video, I knew it was perfect for this blog.  Enjoy another performance by the legendary Herve Villechaize.


Ahh... a little mood music with Merv.



Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.