Friday, May 15, 2020

Danny Bonaduce wants to be your magician...

I discovered this truly cringe inducing song yesterday...


Here's Danny Bonaduce, who was probably at puberty when this was recorded...

As we all know, Danny Bonaduce played Danny Partridge on The Partridge Family, which was a huge hit back in the early 1970s.  Danny Bonaduce can't sing, but he is a gifted and natural comedian and he was playing a role on a TV show about a family band.  So, I guess the powers that be wanted to harness his moneymaking abilities for as long as possible, and they had Danny make some pretty crappy music.

This song is kind of catchy and it has some hilarious sound effects.  But the lyrics are disturbingly suggestive for a boy his age.  Consider these words:

I'll be your magician,
Touch you softly with my magic wand.
And like a puff of smoke,
your resistance will be gone

I'll be your magician,
Gonna conjure up a lover's groove.
And once you're under my spell, Honey,
I'll make love to you...

The rest of the lyrics as well as handy guitar tabs can be found here.  

I have heard that Danny Bonaduce was sexually active from a very young age, but it still seems kind of wrong that a kid his age was singing a song like this.  I wonder who decided this was appropriate?  I'm sure the decision was all about making money, and perhaps it was also influenced by drugs.  Still, it's just a dreadful song that is unfortunately very catchy.  I now have it ringing in my head.

I've seen other videos by Danny Bonaduce in the 70s... it was smack dab in the middle of his awkward teen years.  I give him props for surviving and later using that mortifying time to further his comedy career.  


He's a comedian, not a singer.



I hate this song enough when it's done by Simon and Garfunkel, let alone Danny Bonaduce.

I miss the 70s... probably because I didn't have any sense during that decade and this kind of stuff went right over my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.