Saturday, November 26, 2022

Irene Cara has gone to the Great Beyond!

I was so sad to read that Irene Cara, who famously starred as Coco Hernandez on the movie version of Fame, and famously sang the title songs for both Fame and Flashdance, has passed away at the age of 63. At this writing, the cause of death hasn't been announced.  

As a child of the 70s and 80s, Irene Cara was definitely on my personal soundtrack.  I loved the movie, Fame, but I also remember Irene because she was on The Electric Company, which was my favorite children's educational show when I was a little girl.  Flashdance was also a big movie when I was growing up, and her rendition of "Flashdance: What a Feeling!" still sounds great almost forty years after that movie came out.


"Fame"


"Flashdance"

I remember she had some memorable dance hits in the early 80s that were very good.  I still like to listen to them today, even if it's been awhile since I last saw anyone break dance.  Irene was a dynamic performer who put her own special energy into every song.  She was very talented, and probably should have had a much bigger career than she did.  She actually graduated from the Professional Children's School in Manhattan, so she was well cast in Fame.


"Hot Lunch"



"The Dream"


"Out Here On My Own"


"Breakdance"


I loved this song, "Why Me"


And on The Electric Company!

I don't listen to Irene Cara's music on a daily basis anymore, but there was a time when she was on the radio all the time.  She definitely made a huge impact in music, and she will be missed.  Condolences to her friends and family who will miss her the most.


So sad... May she rest in peace.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.