Sunday, March 4, 2012

Steely Dan

Last night, as I was about to fall asleep after a particularly trying day, I was reading a book about Billy Tipton.  Billy Tipton was a moderately successful jazz musician during the first part of the 20th century.  What people didn't know about Billy until after he died was that he was actually a woman.  I love music, but I have never actually heard any of Billy Tipton's recordings.  Maybe that's why I had Steely Dan on the brain as I was finishing my book.


I think it started with the classically dark "Josie"...  then continued to


"FM"...  I finally fell asleep.  Oddly enough, when I woke up, I had Mozart's Symphony No. 40 in my head.


But I wish I'd had the extremely awesome Steely Dan song "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" running through my mind instead...


My sister, older than me by 11 years, told me that the first time she heard this song, she actually had to stop what she was doing and listen.  It was that sublime.  I miss bands like Steely Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.