Sunday, March 10, 2013

Not Available In Stores...

I could blog about something serious today.  I just came into a shitload of new (to me) Van Morrison CDs that I could listen to and write about.  But I'm feeling a little silly today and my post on Callous Clear on The Overeducated Housewife inspired me to remember some of TV ads I used to see for compilation albums on daytime TV back when I was growing up.

These albums were often made by K-Tel records or MusicSpace.  I don't actually own anything by K-Tel, but I do own a couple of "As Seen On TV" compilations from MusicSpace that I actually kind of enjoy.  I used to like those ads on TV because I am a big music buff and love obscure stuff.  And a lot of times, those collections had obscure songs on them or had really entertaining ads.


Here's a hilarious ad for Freedom Rock.  "Hey, is that Freedom Rock?  Turn it up, man!" I don't know who actually produced this album, but it had lots of classic hits on it as well as two guys in campy hippie get-ups, hawking these collections...


Here's an ad for a K-Tel compilation...


I actually own the "highlights" version of Easy Rock, which I purchased at a K-Mart in Columbia, South Carolina...  It's a pretty good CD.  I used to listen to it a lot when I worked for the Bureau of Epidemiology as a graduate assistant.


I probably would have enjoyed Hey Love...  But no, my brother, you gotta buy your own!


Or for the whiter folks, Lost in Love...  This compilation has a Donny Osmond hit on it.  Horrors!


You love southern rock?  You want Goin' South!

I have to say, probably my least favorite compilation album is Kidz Bop, which are basically kid friendly remakes of pop songs.  About ten years ago, ads for this annoying series were constantly on TV, with the catchphrase, "Kidz Bop rules!"


These things must be good sellers, because they have a whole lot of them.  I don't see ads for them anymore, though, and that's a blessing.  The one above used to play all the time!


When I was young, this album was constantly being hawked on TV for kids... Very annoying!  My mom choose to buy me a religious album instead.  I don't know what she was thinking.  The album was called Music Machine: The Fruit of the Spirit and it was sold by a door to door salesman.


This song is called "Patience" and it's about a snail called Herbert...


I actually kind of liked "Self-Control"...


I had a friend whose mom loved "Hooked On Classics".  She probably would have liked this compilation from K-Tel.


And then there's Pure Funk, a spin off from the Pure Disco series of the 1990s.  I actually own this and it's a great disc.  Too bad the afro guy can't come by to dance for me.


Here's an ad for Pure Disco... I have the second and third volumes, but not volume one.  I think I decided it wasn't worthwhile to buy that since I already own most of the songs.


If I weren't a compulsive music collector, I would love to own the Time-Life Singer Songwriters Collection...

I really need to turn off the fucking TV.  Today, I'm listening to my sound dock and listening to some of my massive music collection.  I predict I'll be drunk by sundown.  I tend to drink when I listen to music.

Enjoy your Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. This is kinda fun. On a similar theme.

    http://www.sixsongsof.me/Playlist/Browse

    Think I'm at top left pic of Shalamar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the process of having my body donated to a department of anatomy at one of the universities. When the medical students are finished tearing out my bits and pieces, the leftovers will be cremated in a secular ceremony. I might have this played:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjpKb3rb2Qc
    or 'Its Hot Down Here' by the Oconnee Rver Boys.
    Think I'll opt for this though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lKwXwU5iWs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeahhhhh, those last two posts should be in 'Good Funeral songs...'

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.