Sunday, April 14, 2013

Andrew Gold...

The late Andrew Gold was a popular singer-songwriter in the 1970s.  The son of respected singer Marni Nixon, he is known for composing "Thank You For Being A Friend", otherwise known as the theme to The Golden Girls.  He also wrote a song called "Lonely Boy", which was a very dramatic song about family dynamics in 1977.  And he wrote "Never Let Her Slip Away", which we used to have the sheet music to back in the day.

Andrew Gold died in June 2011, at age 59.  He'd been treated for renal cancer and apparently had heart failure in his sleep.  If you're going to die, that doesn't sound like a terrible way to go.  Anyway, yesterday I recorded "Lonely Boy" on SingSnap.  It popped into my head and I even "heard" it in the key I could do it in.  SingSnap fortunately had that key available and it turned out pretty well.


This is a video of Andrew Gold singing "Lonely Boy".

I remember Andrew Gold for another reason.  When my niece, now 20 years old, was little, she had a cassette tape of Halloween songs by Andrew Gold.  Apparently, he and his wife were really into celebrating Halloween, so they made a spooky album for kids back in 1996.  My niece loved it and played it incessantly when I was visiting.


This is a song from that album that I remember the most...  "Witches, Witches, Witches".

"Never Let Her Slip Away"...


"Thank You For Being A Friend"...

And my own take on "Lonely Boy"...



I miss the 70s sometimes.  I don't know that I'd want to go through the process of growing up again, but there was some good music from that era.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.