Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Bonding with my MIL over music...

While my husband and I were visiting Texas, we hung out with my mother in law.  She's a neat lady who loves smooth jazz and music from the late 70s.  It was funny.  We were sitting at her kitchen table and she had the radio going.  I heard Muzak and said, "Hey Parker, is that Muzak?"

She laughed and said, "I hadn't noticed."  My mother-in-law changed her name about ten years ago and goes by Parker now.

I happen to be very aware of music.  I hear it in stores and in cars... I pay attention to it in restaurants, even if it's just supposed to be background noise or set the ambiance.  I like a lot of it, except Muzak.  It's mainly because my control freak dad used to force me to listen to it on road trips.

Anyway, Parker changed the channel and it was playing all sorts of great hits.  The keys to my Dungeon of the Past mind jangled as the memories unlocked and I was loving it.  Here are a few songs we heard.




And I heard Anne Murray's version of "Killing Me Softly With His Song".  I had no idea she had recorded it.


I felt like I was six years old again and living in Virginia.  It was magical.

I am really blessed to have a great mother in law.  We get along and share a mutual hatred of my husband's ex wife.  I look forward to visiting with her often... and bonding over more music from the Dungeon of the Past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.