Monday, August 12, 2013

Barry Manilow...

As Bill and I were unloading all our crap the other day, I turned on my iPod and ended up listening to a whole bunch of Barry Manilow's music.  Barry Manilow is one of those guys with an unmistakable voice and he was very popular when I was a little kid.  I particularly remember how much people loved his hit song, "Copacabana"...


He had some nice ballads, too... as well as a few really cheesy uptempo numbers, like "It's A Miracle".



And the American Bandstand theme...


American Bandstand used to come on Saturday afternoons.  I wasn't into it at the time.  Here's a recording of the original piece by Les Elgart.


Of course, he was also famous for "I Write the Songs"... But I think one of my favorites by Barry is "Ships", which I always thought was very poignant.


As I was listening to all these songs, it occurred to me that I'm a really old fart.  Barry Manilow is no doubt a gifted musician, but man... these songs are not so cool.  I like them anyway.  I see by YouTube I'm not alone.


Barry Manilow also gave us a memorable Dr. Pepper jingle.  They don't make commercials like this anymore.


2 comments:

  1. Ha! I loved Copacabana when I was a kid (think elementary school grades). :o) Drove my parents and siblings crazy playing him on the car stereo all the time. My mom also has a soft spot for 'Weekend in New England'. My dad never could stand his music, though...

    But nowadays it's almost a taboo to like Manilow's stuff. Dunno why. He is sort of cheesy if taken in large dose, but a few tracks here and there on MP3 playlists is quite cool with me. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww... Weekend in New England is lovely.

    I like a little Manilow. He's good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.