Monday, June 2, 2014

Barry White...

Yesterday, while driving home on Interstate 10 from an early flight in Houston, I was listening to my iPod and a song by Barry White came on…


"Don't You Want To Know" is off Barry's 1994 The Icon Is Love album…

Even though I grew up in the 70s and 80s, I wasn't really familiar with Barry White or his brand of sexy music until I lived in Armenia.  For some reasons, the Armenians loved Barry and I would hear his sexified songs all over the place.  "Don't You Want To Know" often blared in Yerevan bars and I came to like it so much that I bought a bootleg cassette.

I have heard that all of Barry White's songs were written for his wife… well, maybe not the breakup songs.  The Icon Is Love did have one or two songs that were about a relationship ending. 



I always thought it was funny to hear this song after all the sexy songs… it was like, okay, now we've fucked.  It's all over now.  At least Barry is polite about it.


This was another Armenian favorite back in the 90s…  It's from the same album.

Barry White's 70s songs are really more to my liking, anyway.








Sadly, Barry White passed away on July 4, 2003.  He was just 59 years old and had kidney failure resulting from uncontrolled hypertension.  His sexy legacy lives on, though… 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.