Friday, February 5, 2016

And now we've lost Maurice White!

Okay, so maybe I was somewhat less surprised when I read that Maurice White died.  He'd been battling Parkinson's Disease since 1992 and had quit performing with Earth, Wind & Fire in 1994.  Recently, his health took a turn for the worse and the 74 year old passed away peacefully in his sleep on February 3, 2016.

I think of all the rock stars who have died recently, I liked Maurice White the most.  His music makes me happy.  I love seeing old videos of him in his prime, fronting EWF.  He had an amazing charisma and joy when he performed.  He was a man who belonged in front of an audience.


This video may give you a migraine, but the music is awesome.

Maurice White had a raw, masculine power that worked so well with Philip Bailey's falsetto.  Though I still enjoy watching EWF and listening to their music, it hasn't been the same since Maurice White left the group.  And now that he's dead, I feel like it's the end of an era.


A later video post White's retirement.

When I listen to EWF, I'm reminded of my childhood and a time when things were simple.  And every time an iconic performer from that time period passes away, it reminds me that my time is coming.  

At the same time, I saw the condition my father was in at the end of his life.  He had lewy body dementia, which is somewhat like Parkinson's Disease.  It robbed him of his dignity and autonomy.  I can't imagine having to suffer with it for decades.  I don't know what Maurice White's final days were like, but I can make a guess.


Sigh...

The music world has lost one more bonafide star.  Rest in peace, Maurice White.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.