Thursday, June 9, 2016

OXO... Whirly Girl is possibly the lamest song of the 80s!

I woke up this morning with this song on the brain.


This song is called "Whirly Girl" and it's by a band called OXO.  This was their one and only hit.

When I was in the fifth grade back in the spring of 1983, an American dance band called OXO came out with a song called "Whirly Girl".  I remember liking the song when it was popular.  It's fairly catchy.  

For some reason, I woke up thinking about this obscure song and decided to see if I could find it.  Sure enough, there it was in all its YouTube glory.  One would think this band would go on to bigger and better things, but they sort of fell off the face of the map.  I see in the YouTube comments that this song was also used in a documentary called Frank and Cindy.  Indeed, Frank Garcia was the bassist of OXO and his stepson, G.J. Echternkamp wrote and directed the film.  Evidently, Cindy was the ultimate groupie and married Frank thinking she'd live a rock star life.  Guess not.  Now I'm curious about the film.


Dick Clark interviews OXO on American Bandstand. Dig those costumes.

I'm surprised it's taken me this long to write about OXO.  They seem like they're the perfect addition to a blog like this one, focused on musical crap from the past.  

Of course, nowadays, when most people think of OXO, they think of kitchen gadgets, not an obscure 80s band.  I like the dancer in the video.  Wonder what she's doing now...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.