Sunday, April 7, 2019

Bomb Iran...

This just popped into my head.  It was a hit in 1980.


In 1980, we were less politically correct... and so Vince Vance & The Valiants came up with this beaut of a parody song, sung to The Beach Boys' "Barbara Ann".

I was a kid in 1980, and I'm sad to say that when I hear this melody, I think "Bomb Iran" instead of "Barbara Ann".  Vince Vance & The Valiants are from New Orleans and have had a few novelty hits over the years.  This is the only one I remember.  Apparently, there were a bunch of versions of "Bomb Iran" by other bands, too.  Vince Vance & The Valiants had the most successful one, even though it didn't get a lot of distribution in the 80s because they never got permission to use the music.  


This is the 1965 popular cover by The Beach Boys...  but it'll always be "Bomb Iran" to me.

The original version was done by The Regents in 1961.  It was written by Fred Fassert.


The original.


This song, "All I Want For Christmas Is You", is Vince Vance & The Valiants biggest hit.  It comes from 1993.  But to me, they'll always be remembered for "Bomb Iran".  The lead singer on this is Lisa Layne.  A lot of people wonder why she isn't a huge star.  I agree, she has a beautiful voice.

Maybe "Bomb Iran" has new relevance today...  Don't know.  Just another one of my pointless rambling posts about crap from the past.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.